Thursday, October 28, 2010

James Milo Glen



It is a little long but I do recommend reading it

OK here is the story starting Monday morning...
Monday I had another NST and a doctors check up. When I got to the office one of the nurses said "You're STILL pregnant!!!" and the NST tech came out and was surprised to see me she though for sure that they were inducing me the week before.
During the NST there was nothing interesting happening, and that was the problem he wasn't really responding to stimulation but he did have a strong heartbeat. Then I went back to see the doctor and he walked and in and before I could say anything he said lets just get this thing done! I had a slightly high blood pressure and with James not really doing much it was finally enough to get him out.
When I left the office I was 85% effaced and 3cm dilated.
I got to the hospital and the nurses here were so happy to see me again. And Amy Garner (Taren's mom) was my nurse and she was really happy that they were finally inducing me.
I got all hooked up and the started the Pitocin and I got my epidural (so I can say that I never really felt a "real" contraction). The external monitors weren't really picking anything up on my contractions and then they kept loosing James' heart beat, so they wanted to break my water to get internal monitoring going. Well right when they were going to check me to see if it would be ok to break my water it broke on it's own so they got James hooked up and we were able to get a constant rate.
Well every time they tried to turn up the Pit James got angry and dropped his heart rate. So they put it on the lowest setting. I was just not making any progress I was now only a 3.5cm.
Then all of a sudden James decided to scare everyone and dropped his heart rate all the way down to the low 60s. I had several nurses run in they helped switch to my other side got me on oxygen and laid me completely flat. The doctor came in and checked me and since his heart rate went back up he decided that I didn't need to go straight back to the operating room. I was now only at a 4. So the decision was made that I was just not having good enough contractions on my own but the Pit made James angry so I was going to get a C-section. I was ok with this because I had already prepared myself for the possibility.
They up'ed my epidermal and wheeled me in to get started. Although I got the really bad shakes from the high dosage so they had to cover me in a blanket that blew hot air across my chest and arms.
And then at 12:44 am October 26th I heard one of the most wonderful sounds! James finally made his appearance! I barley got to see him and then he was gone but David followed him to get all cleaned up, and I got all stitched up. I have 17 staples in my tummy! James was 8 lbs 5 oz and 20 inches.
(Oh and I can have a VBAC if I want to when I do have other children.)
After getting all stitched and cleaned I had to stay in labor and delivery while James was downstairs waiting in the nursery. I was monitored for an hour and then was taken down stairs where I had to wait another 30 minutes before they could bring him in.
But oh man when they did I could barely see him through my tears of joy. I was just so happy to finally have him in my arms and knowing that I could keep him!
Since it was like 4 in the morning I decided that I just wanted to keep James in the room for the rest of the night. But I could not sleep at all I just wanted to stare at him.
A few hours later and some sleep I finally got all the feeling back in my legs. I was doing so well that they actually took me off my IV and took out my catheter sooner, the nurses say, then most women.

David and I just adore our little James. He really is a blessing from Heavenly Father and we are just in awww that he would send us someone so perfect. He really is amazing and wonderful.

2 comments:

The Terry's said...

congrats! i so happy that he is healthy baby boy! the fun stuff just begins.

Gweneth said...

It is so wonderful that you are so thrilled. Great report, Meg.