Thursday, September 8, 2011

Adult ADD

Yesterday I went to the doctor and asked about Adult ADD (different then childhood) and it turns out that I got it bad.

This is how it all began...
I went to lunch with my good friend Taren and we were talking about everything under the sun. She then mentioned that she had Adult ADD. When she was telling me how she felt all the channels in her head were going off at once I went that is me! When she said she tried to focus in class and ended up thinking about the teachers tie, I started to think about her really cute hair cut and wondered where she got it and how much did it cost I wonder if it would look good on me....oh ya we are talking about something else...yes I find my mind wondering all the time!
So I went home after our lunch and started looking online and doing some of my own research.
I found some screening test to see if you had it and weather or not I should actually go in and ask about it. Here are some of the questions:
I find it difficult to read written material unless it is very interesting or very easy.

I am irritable, and get upset by minor annoyances.

I say things without thinking, and later regret having said them.

My moods have highs and lows.

I usually work on more than one project at a time, and fail to finish many of them.

There is a lot of "static" or "chatter" in my head

Even when sitting quietly, I am usually moving my hands or feet.

My thoughts bounce around as if my mind is a pinball machine.

My brain feels as if it is a television set with all the channels going at once.

I am unable to stop daydreaming.

I am distressed by the disorganized way my brain works.

I answered strongly agree to all of these questions!
Some things that I can apply from my life: at church I can't just sit and do nothing I never understood how someone could just sit and listen! I have to play with the program or my phone and now that I have a baby I used him as an excuse as to why I couldn't just sit. Another example when David and I watch a TV show or movie together I have to be doing something else like playing on the computer or doing something with my hands.
When David came home I started to talk to him about it and he looked at a couple things and looked at me and said "Yep this is you to a T".

So I finally made an appointment with my doctor and went in yesterday.
I was given a verbal survey similar to this one and my doctor and I determined that I do indeed have Adult ADD. I was given a prescription for Adderall (generic: Amphetamine) to try for a month. Now we did talk about the difference between someone having a couple of "bad days" and then me who seems to always have a "bad day".
I have only taken my first 2 pills today but already I can see a difference. I am actually actively trying to turn on all the "channels" in my head but I can't it's easier for me to switch channels. I actually sat here and wrote this entire blog without stopping and going to other sites or doing something else (well I did have to stop to take care of James a few times). I'm really excited about this and I plan on sharing my experience with this for the next month.
I'm going to be open and honest about things that are going on and how I'm feeling. This will also help me when I report back to my doctor.
I also want to be able to answer any questions you has readers may have, but just know that I'm learning as I go.

No comments: