Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Preeclampsia

I have preeclampsia (or toxemia, or hypertension). Basically my blood pressure is way too high and I have protein in my urine.
When I went in last week my blood pressure was up at 147/88 and my protein level was at a +1.
(a +2 means I go to the hospital for bed rest, +3 to +4 is when they would deliver the baby)
The thing that kinda bugs me is that I was having headaches and swollen fingers (all pre-signs of preeclampsia) and I even did a 24 hour urine test and it all came back "normal".
I already have accepted the fact that I may not get to go anywhere or do anything, I'm just ready for this baby to come early! He needs to stay in there as long as possible! Right now they are thinking that I will still deliver close to my due date or just a week or 2 early which he would still be considered full term.
Another thing I'm worried about is the possibility of having a C-section. I'm not afraid of actually getting it or anything like that, I just don't want one! If it came down to it though, I'd be more then happy to have one if my blood pressure goes to high or if there was something wrong and the baby may be in danger.
Well I go to the doctor in a few hours and if there is any new information or any changes I will post an update.

1 comment:

Christy said...

That bites, but all I can say is be grateful you know! My sister had the signs of preeclampsia but since her blood pressure was low to begin with, it was still in the "normal" range as it rose. She ended up with Hellp Syndrome and delivered by emergency c-section at 33 weeks. She and the baby luckily both lived, but no one was aware of the danger she was in.