Friday, March 1, 2013

Thoughts on the arrival of baby #2

I am so ready to be done with this tummy! It is for sure bigger this time around then with James! But I'm so not ready for another baby. I mean around this time with James we had a suitcase packed and ready, the car seat in the car, the bassinet already set up....And now we have nothing ready! I mean I feel a little more experienced and so I know I don't need to bring a ton of stuff with me, and we got the infant car seat out of storage and wiped it down...So I guess it's a start.

With James, before I even got the news that I was preeclamptic, I just had a feeling I was going to be a c-section. Just a gut feeling.  So when I got to the hospital and after a couple hours of no progress labor I was not shocked, scared, concerned... when they told me I was going to have to have a c-section.
Then when the nurses came in to see if I needed help to go to bathroom or just get up in general they were quite surprised how well I did. I heal really quick. After coming home from the hospital I didn't have any problems with my incision and I didn't have a lot of pain.  And despite the shock of actually having a baby now living with us I was quite happy and got back to "normal" life very quickly.

Ok so why did I just recap James's birth? Well because we have a decision to make concerning this pregnancy/birth. I am a good candidate for a VBAC and that was (is?) my original plan.  But now that I'm getting close I mean really close to my due date I'm having mixed feelings.
At the begging of this pregnancy I asked my doctor (who I absolutely love!) what I would have to do to have a vbac. She said as long as I don't become preeclamptic or get gestational diabetes or any other complication then I could have a normal delivery. And this time around everything has been normal and I have had no complications.
But because I was a c-section before my doctor wont let me go too far over my due date (which I'm totally ok with) but they wont induce it will just be a c-section (another thing I'm totally ok with). My due date is April 1st so we are planning on doing a c-section on April 5th if she doesn't come on her own.
At my last appointment I said in a perfect world I would have her on March 28th (It makes the best sense when it comes to having my mom coming to help and it will give us a couple weeks before we move into our new house) My doctor said she would be happy to do a c-section that day if I wanted...
It's just got me thinking...
I kinda want to have a VBAC and I kinda want a c-section.  In all honestly I would feel more comfortable with a c-section.
I just don't want to be judged by friends and family...
Everyone has an opinion on giving birth.  Mine, I believe you should be at the hospital. You can have a midwife, or an epidural, or a water birth, or whatever method you want to use just do it at the hospital (This is just my opinion that I have come to through my own research and experiences with friends and family)
My number one belief on birth is that you should do what makes you happy and that you and baby are healthy and happy, and that no one should make you feel bad for your decisions.
That being said people still judge and I'm afraid of being put on a guilt trip for even considering an elective c-section. Even though other peoples opinion should matter to me.
David is even more comfortable with the idea of an elective c-section.

Ok so all that off of my chest here is the plan as of my last visit.
I will attempt a VBAC (and hope baby will come early)
If no baby then I will have a c-section on April 5th

If we decide anything different after my next couple appointments I will update the few who actually read this blog...

1 comment:

Jenn said...

You are totally right to make the decision that makes the best sense to you and how you are feeling. I know that there is no real way around the opinions of other people but just remember that it is your birth, and whether you choose to have a VBAC or an elective C-section it can be as beautiful and as personal as you choose.

I love you!!